Monday, February 25, 2013

Level Up at A Mountain


I climbed a mountain.

It was the first time that I have climbed a mountain. It was very tiring. Shortly after we started climbing, my legs turned to be weak and shaky and I could hardly stand on them. I have a fear of height anywhere open to the air, and I haven’t been working out for a long time. It was difficult for me both mentally and physically. Actually, even the volcano we visited the other day was a challenge for me. On the way up, there were multiple times that I wanted to give up, especially when I got to a flat land and found there was another hill waiting for me in the front. I wished I could just lie on the ground and waited for the rest of the group to get to the top and come back again. But when I finally caught up, often it was time for the leaders to set off again. I actually appreciated it, because if the group just stayed there, waiting for me to get ready, I would never be ready. I also appreciated that there was always someone accompanying me at the end of the team, and lend me a hand when necessary. With all the courage and patience, I gradually reduced my fear, and I didn't feel as tired once I overcame my physical tipping point. When Hank asked us if we would like to go further to the very top of the mountain, everyone in the group said that they would love to, but it was alright if we didn't  I knew people were holding back because they concerned me, but I would regret if we didn't get to the top. I was satisfied and pleased when we held our hands and walked towards the top together. I told Elisabeth that I was going to cry, and I did. On our way down, Hank said “look at you, you are like a mountain girl”. At the moment, I saw a level up screen popped in front of my eyes, shining with glory, as what happened to me when I got my Iceland visa. My fear of heights is not over yet, and I am still upset about our next hiking trip, but I won’t attempt to easily give up any more ^ ^

Yilin 
2013.02.25

No comments:

Post a Comment